No matter how many times you checked that duffel before the big day, every pregnant woman will forget something vital from her hospital bag. She will also have a ton of crap she didn't need and a list of things she wish she had thought of after the fact.
So here is my short list of those items. I hope it may save your poor husband or partner a midnight trip home to search for your favorite fuzzy socks.
Things I thought I needed and didn't even ask for once:
- My ipod. The last thing on my mind was listening to tunes. Not even my favorite jam was going to soothe me in the throes of contractions.
- A journal. Like that day wasn't going to be burned into my mind forever.
- My make up. Hahahaha!
Things I am so glad I had:
- A nightgown. Even if you aren't nursing, nurses will be whipping away your blanket to check your swollen hoo-haa every other hour. Pajama pants may seem comfy, but they won't be when you are shimmying them down constantly.
- Headband. Pushing will bring sweat, so keeping your bangs out of your eyes is a little thing that saves a great deal of annoyance.- Extra pillows. For nursing, sleeping, propping your still-swollen feet up, bring some from home if you want or immediately pester the nurse for a few extras when you finally land in your recovery room.
Things I wish I had thought of:
- A "Do Not Disturb" sign for my door.
- Duct tape to keep it there.
- An extra empty bag. The hospital sent us home with quite a bit of baby swag and we were cramming it all in our already-crammed diaper bag. Leave room in your suitcase to bring home the party favors.